Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Knights Ferry Speed Team!

Well, I have about three weeks until the BIG DAY. Training is getting more intense… or else this old body of mine is starting to feel the consequences of my training! This Saturday will be our last long run. We’re running 22 miles in Knights Ferry, with lots of hills. I am so thankful the weather is turning cooler. It helps so much. Two weeks ago we had our 20 mile run and it went well. My knee and my hip started to hurt around mile 18 so I was a little concerned, but after soaking in the freezing water in the river afterwards I felt good and wasn't sore on Sunday. I went straight to the hospital after my run because Vanessa was in labor. We spent the whole night in the waiting room until Sunday morning when Beau Robert Kesterson was born! We came home and slept for 3 hours and then I got up to run my 4 miles ‘recovery run’. It was a very busy and eventful weekend. I think this was why I started feeling discouraged the rest of the week. Hopefully it was just from lack of rest.

This picture is of my running teammates in the river after our Saturday run. Betty is my running partner. She’s already run four marathons and is qualified for the Boston Marathon next year. She keeps me on my toes. I don't think I can keep up with her pace for the whole marathon, but so far we have done well keeping each other pumped up and mentally on task. Wednesday nights are really getting hard for me. We meet at MJC Track to do drills, run bleachers and do timed sprints, 400's and 800's. I think that’s harder than running for 10 miles. We only have three of those left and I am so happy about that!

Mentally, I get discouraged and doubt myself at times but then I think of Betsy. I received an email from her yesterday and she is running the marathon of her life. She wrote to ask for prayer because the chemo is getting to her. Her last chemo was three weeks ago and she is barely able to walk from her bed to the couch. Usually by this time she has recouped some energy. Lately though, the exhaustion has been mind-numbing and has been robbing her of encouragement. Please keep her in your prayers. She is having a PET scan on October 4th to view her lymph nodes and see if the chemo is doing its job. Hopefully, there will be no cancer seen in the lymph nodes and she could stop her chemo treatments.

I want to thank all of you for your support. I have my doubts at times but I always have someone giving me a word of encouragement or just being there for me. Our Modesto and Stockton teams have raised over $80,000.00 and that is going to help so many.

Thanks again for your support and prayers!


No comments: