Thursday, August 21, 2008

Evidence

Two months until race day and training is still going well.  Our longest run to date was 16 miles last Saturday.  We ran in Knights Ferry on Sonora Road and were able to practice running on hills.  The first 8 miles were really good.  Even though it was hot, the wind was blowing and we had a ton of energy!  And then we made the turn...there was NO wind and it was VERY hot.  Our coach had us get into the river when we were finished and the ice cold water really helped our muscles and legs from becoming sore.  The run was more difficult than I thought it might be, but I pressed in and was able to finish strong.  My running partner was late so I ran with the Mendes brothers.  They are really good runners and a ton of fun to be around.  They had a brother, Paul, who had leukemia and passed away in January.  The disease was very swift and gave no warning, leaving his friends and family in shock.  Running this race is their way of honoring their brother's memory.

Betsy had her second chemo treatment last Thursday.  She was really sick during her first treatment, so she had a lot of people praying specifically for this second treatment.  I talked to her on Tuesday and although she is still very weak and losing weight, she felt much better this time around.  Please continue to keep her in your prayers.  Even though she's battling sickness, Betsy continues to be an uplifting encouragement to others.  Betsy had recently shared a story of the amazing evidence of love and care that was displayed when one of her physical needs was met.  Which got me thinking....   We care, but it's got to be more than words.  What are we doing to display the evidence of our compassion, or love, or duty?  That's why I'm running this marathon.

Thank you to everyone for helping me reach my financial goal of $2,400.00.  You have been such a blessing to me and I appreciate all your support!  

Until next time. 

No comments: